Monday 14 December 2009

Filled Cookies with Nuts and Marzipan

Middle of last week I got my new oven and it is a convection oven.
I started baking the day itself. Each time I went to the kitchen I coudn't stop smiling , this oven is much bigger than the old one.
Next day when i went to my in laws place I told my MIL how can one just feel so good because having a new oven.
Ofcourse i do have to get used to the new oven as i found out when i baked bread this weekend they were baked in less time than my old oven.

Really the last days I have been walking aroung here at home with a huge smile , even now while writting the post I am smilling just because I have a new oven :-)


Ofcourse my daughter and hubby can't understand the joy I am feeling with my new oven. They both think I am weird for beeing so happy for something like a oven.

It is exams for my daughter so I love baking while she is learning in her room and she is my taster, the moment they come out from the oven and can be handled I take one to her for tasting.

I must say these cookies are really delicious. They are buttery and you bite into them and inside you have this filling of nuts , marzipan and redcurrant jelly all mixed together.


My New Oven

For the dough
100 gm ice very cold unsalted butter
200 gm flour
75 gm sugar
1 medium egg
a pinch of salt

Cut the cold butter into small pieces. Add them to the flour, sugar, egg and the salt in a bowl.
Mix it with the hand till it forms a ball. Don't over work it, if you do then the dough get tough.
Wrap the dough in a foil and keep in the fridge for 1 hour.

For the filling:
100 gm Walnuts chopped fine
50 gm marzipan. ( grate them fine)
50 gm red currant jam. ( you don't have to stick to this jam, i am sure you can add any taste)
18 half walnuts.

For the drizzle
50 gm dark chocolate
1 tbsp butter
Melt the chocolate together with the butter for the drizzle.

Mix in a bowl the walnuts, marzipan and the jam.
Divide the dought into 18 balls. Take a ball and shape them into a round shape ( i presses with my palm) Take a tbsp or less filling and keep them in the middle of the circle shape and then take each end and press and make a ball.
Repeat with the other balls.
Press a walnut half in the middle of each balls.
Preheat the oven to 180°C and bake them for 18 minutes.
Cool them and drizzle the chocolate and leave the chocolate to get hard.
Enjoy the cookies.I am sending this to Susan for her if you check out her place you will see what all cookies santa as got till now just go here and also do make some cookies and send her way.

53 comments:

Unknown said...

These cookies look absolutely divine. Very beautiful way to celebrate the arrival of your kitchen companion.

Rina said...

Luv ur baked treats always..enjoy baking with new oven..

Lavanya Raj said...

Great Cookies!! Your new oven smiles at me!! Have a Great Baking Journey in the New Oven!

s said...

oh so Christmasy...delicious...

shankari said...

Convection ovens cook a lot faster..so keep checking initially and then you will get a hang of it.

Dewi said...

I love marzipan, so it is easy for me to like this cookies. Your new oven look really pretty.

Finla said...

Shankari thanks for the tip, i will sure keep on a eye till i get used to the timing.

Shama Nagarajan said...

nice recipe...nice photo

Vrinda said...

Nice crispy cookies...

Angie's Recipes said...

wow...marzipan...a necessity for a festive X'mas!

sra said...

I'm exactly like you when I get a new kitchen gadget - till I tire of it and it goes into storage. I tried getting rid of my old oven last year and v ambitiously bought a MW-cum-convection oven but could not get rid of the old one finally, now I've just accepted it and am using it - I love it even more now. Does this even make sense?

Cham said...

Hope this Christmas u gonna bake bake bake... ah aha kidding! Those cookies are nutty and perfect!

Yasmeen said...

It sure is a big joy for a baking enthusiast to have a new and better oven.Great start with scrumptious cookies:D

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Yay! I'm so happy you love your new stove. You're making me wish mine would die now. ;) I also love these cookies. Anything with red currant jelly gets my vote!

prasu said...

wow....................perfect dear.

Unknown said...

Congrats on your new oven. Love the addition of marzipan!

Priya Suresh said...

Seems you are enjoying baking with ur new oven, cookies looks fantastic and gorgeous!

RV @ Food for 7 Stages said...

Delicious cookies and good luck with your new oven.. hope you give us whole loads of baked goodies from now on..

Unknown said...

Such a gorgeous and tempting cookies ,send me some cookies dear..:)

Faiza Ali said...

They look so awesome..must have taste very yummy. I am sure kids will love this..

Snooky doodle said...

ohh these look delicious!

Sarah Naveen said...

Oh my those cookies look awesome and yummy!!!Great baking with the new oven dea..!!

Cakelaw said...

Happy Cook, these look and sound amazing. And I adore your little teddy dish :)

Soma said...

Oh! my gosh.. marzipan filled sounds divine.

I need a new oven.. mine is broken for a few months now :-( I have been looking at convection ovens but they are so expensive.. probably will get a smaller one.

Laavanya said...

The filling sounds irresistible and congrats on the new oven :)

chakhlere said...

Oven is really very gorgeous, I must say!!! Cookies look perfect as usual.

Cilantro said...

Cookie looks graet and i can see how happy you are witrh the new addition to your kitchen. Have a great time.

Malar Gandhi said...

Thats real tempting...nuts filled, count me in. Looks like lot of work...hats off to ur effort.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

That's a great cookie. I enjoy them during the Holidays.

jayasree said...

Cookies looks absolutely gorgeous.. I am sure it tasted equally delicious with the nutty filling and chocolate on top.

Unknown said...

cookies look awesome..and nice oven..i can imagine our happiness...

Lakshmi said...

I am already drooling over them..they look adorable HC

Sushma Mallya said...

That looks gorgeous!!!

Saritha said...

I can make out how happy you are,me too was very happy when i brought mv-convection and combination.I too love baking like,but i do all simple cakes which my kids like without frosting.

The cookies looks great and i never tried making cookies

Maria said...

Love your cookies!

Ivy said...

Enjoy baking with your new oven. The cookies look beautiful.

Sumi said...

wow, congrats on ur new oven,I bet your family is going to be treated withe goodies for the next ew months.I understand how you feel, cos Iam going to miss my oven when I move to a new place this january.

Usha said...

These cookies look fantastic, would be great for this festive season!

Gloria Baker said...

These cookies look fantastic, really amzing Happy Cook, xxx gloria

Chef Jeena said...

These nutty marzipan treats look fantastic.

Poornima Nair said...

Awesome cookies...perfect for the festive season.

Deeba PAB said...

Ooooh congrats on your beautiful new oven F. Gorgeos...i would be like you too. Smiling & bakingf rom morning to night with an oven as lovely as that! Those cookies sure look DELICIOUS! They have evrything I love...mail me some pleaaaaaaaase???

notyet100 said...

can feel the excitement....felt the same when i got one last yr,..;-)btw thy look perfect for my event too,..will be glad if u sne dthem over..;-)

Bombay-Bruxelles said...

Congrats on you new oven. Mine came in Aug and I had the same permanent smile :-)

Thistlemoon said...

Congratulations on your new oven, Happy Cook! :) Those cookies look amazing!

Anonymous said...

Scrumptious cookies!

MaryMoh said...

wow...looks gorgeous. Just what I need for this Christmas. Actually I need some now with my coffee...yum

Vikis Kitchen said...

Cookies look gorgeous...nice click dear.

Unknown said...

oh, I miss this event! How come it does not come up on IMBB? anyway, lovely cookies. I feel like to go visit each blogger's house this Christmas and taste different type of biscuits.

Raks said...

COokies sounds delightful! And ur new oven is looking great HC,and done a neat job :)

Deepa G Joshi said...

these cookies looks so nice :).. Congratulations on your new oven!! Its doing its job efficiently:)

Dori said...

These are great, I love them... Enjoy that new oven :)

Peter M said...

I adore sweets & cookies with nuts, very apt for Christmas. Happy baking with your new stove.