Sunday 15 June 2008

Karkady Cordial

From the moment when I saw siri's choice for AWED I knew what I will send her.
That was almost a month back.
Today it is the last day to send to send AWED Middle Eastern Cuisine , I had to hurry up.
So Karkaé drink is my entry for her event.

The year before we went to Egypt for holiday. And we had this drink almost every day.

And when we were in Aswan we had it more than once a day, as it was so hot there, that it was so refreshing to have this cool drink.
Ofcourse you can have this warm also as normal fruit tea.

While we were in Aswan we bought three kilos of this dried flower.
Have been making this when it is warm summer.
For more info wiki

The syrup will keep for long, but do keep then in the fridge.You can use it also over pancakes,fresh fruit, custard , ice cream etc......
This is my entry for



Dried hibiscus calyces




Sugar,water and the flowers boiling away..


Bottled for use
For the syrup.
2 cups dried Dried hibiscus calyces chopped.
2 cups sugar
5 to 6cups water

Heat the sugar and water in a large pan, untill the sugar is completely dissolved.
Add the calyces and bring to the boil.
Lower the heat and simmer gently untill the volume of liquid is reduced and becomes syrupy.Remove from the heat and strain. This will take almost 1 hour.
Bottel the syrup while still hot into clean bottles and seal.

Making the cordial.

Take 2 to 3 tbsp of the syrup, 1 to 2 tbsp of cane sugar syrup/ sugar , crushed ice and mix everything in a mixer.Pour into a glass and enjoy the cold drink in a hot summer day.



Delicious on a Sunny day
I received this wonder ful Inspiration award from Madhavi of Recipies From My Favourite Place- Kitchen.
This award is given to bloggers whose stories and recipes inspire us. Whether it’s to eat healthier, dive back into our past to conjure up something we ate as children, or just make the light bulbs in our brains go on with a new idea for a recipe."
As recipients of this award, please share with us what inspires you and then pass on the Inspiration Award to 4 other deserving bloggers. Please let them know what the award means and what to do with it.
I will make it short and just say I am Inspired by all my fellow bloggers.
Thankyou Madhavi for giving me this wonderful award.
So i pass this awad to all my friends here as you all inspire me.

Skribles of Food with a pinch of love tagged me
1. Last movie u saw in a theatre?
Can you believe I don't remember the name. It was in the Easter holidays. I went and asked my daughter what was the name of the movie and she is replying you know mama i (daughter)go with my friend too for movies so i don't remember which one we went that time.
When it come to my slow memorry i will come here and edit :-)
.
2. What book are u reading?
At them moment a cooke book of Camila Punjabi, was looking in it for making something for sigs event.
.
3. Favourite board game?
Snake and the ladder, that is the only game i win.
.
4. Favourite magazine?
Food Magazine,Vanitha and Libelle
.
5. Favourite smells?
If I tell you that you ladies will have a SHOCK !!!!!!
.
6. Favourite sounds?
When my daughter plays her violin, well that is when she has been practising otherwise it sounds horrible.
.
7. Worst feeling in the world?When some one betray you.
8. What is the first thing you think of when u wake?
Oh is it Morining allready
.
9. Favourite fast food place?
Friets/French Fries from the stalls in the streets here.
.
10. Future childs name?
Oh No. No more kids for me. I have a daughter who is getting 16 this Jully. So one child is more than enough for me.
And to be honest I have passed the age to be a mom again :-)))))
.
11. Finish this statement—’If I had a lot of money I’d’
I think it will be a cliche if i write, i will give for the poor, charity etc...... so I think iwill go for SHOPPING
.
12. Do u drive fast?
I don't drive at all.
.
13. Do u sleep with a stuffed animal?
No no no nostuffed animals for me. I have hubby dear next to me
.
14. Storms–cool or scary?
Cool and Scary
.
15. What was your first car?
Don't drive so what is the use in me having my own car
.
16. Favorite drink?
Coffee and Red wine
.
17. Finish this statement-If I had the time I would…
I never think anything like having more time.
.
18. Do you eat the stems on broccoli?
Yes
.
19. If you could dye your hair any other colour, what would be your choice?
I like myblack hair colour, but when i get grey I am sure going to dye it back to black :-)
.
20. Name all the different cities/towns u have lived in?
Ernakulum/Kerala and Knokke in Belgium.
.
21. Favourite sports to watch?
I dislike watching sports in TV
.
22. One nice thing about the person who sent this to you?Skribbles i met her through her blog. Love all her delicious dishes she prepares there.
.
23. Whats under your bed?
We went to France and bought some 10 cases of wine so i kept those under the bed as it is out of the way.24. Would u like to be born as yourself again??Ofcourse with minor changes
.
25. Morning person or night owl?
Night
.
26. Over easy or sunny side up?
Sunny side up
.
27. Favourite place to relax?
Home
.
28. Favourite pie?
Don''t have one
.
29. Favourite icecream flavour?
Chocolate, Cappuchino, Mango, Pistache , should i go on.....
.
30. Of all the people u have tagged, who is the most likely to respond first?I am not tagging anyone.

61 comments:

FH said...

Cool! I always wanted to go to Egypt, may be one day. Never heard of this drink, unique and fab entry, good one girlie!:)
MeMe is good to read. I used to be the one who did all the MeMe tagged first but I have stopped doing it now. I think I have written everything I have to say in the MeMes I have done so far!:D
I read Hans had food poisoning in your comment somewhere today. Hope he is doing better now. Happy Father's day to him!:))

Finla said...

Asha we went for a party on friday evening and he ate some snacks with prawn in it and he go sick that night itslef.
He is better now, yesterday whole day he was in bed.
Here fathers day was last sunday. I think in belgium they got theday wrong, as everywhere here theycelebrated last sunday

Laavanya said...

What a unique and pretty looking drink. Nice to know more about you :)

Madhavi said...

Oh great entry, drink looks awesome, beautiful color too!!! very nice to read ur meme :))

Peter M said...

Happy, this is the 2nd recipe I've seen this week using hibiscus..now I'm intrigued with the ingredient..thank you!

Chef Jeena said...

Wow Happy I bet you enjoyed visiting Egypt you are lucky I would love to go there it must have been so exciting.

Hibiscus looks lovely and the drink looks so refreshing.

Great read. :-)

Mrs Ergül said...

I love the colours and I love drinks that is cooling to the body.

Sum Raj said...

woo..its a surprisung drink that i never heard...colour is too attractive and inviting...

amna said...

wow, that's a first for me.. dried hibiscus petals..

Seena said...

We have one drink with fresh hibiscus flowers, will try to get the recipe..
looks so lovely! :)

Swati said...

I am yet to visit Egypt.. Its a wonderful place to visit..
The drink looks very pretty with the dark red rich color ...Hope your son is better now..

KonkaniBlogger said...

Thts such a great looking drink and very informative post. Nice to know abt it. Also, loved reading ur MeMe.

Unknown said...

Very unique drink! Interesting meme..My fav. smell also gives a SHOCK..:D

Rajesh &Shankari said...

Hi HC..this is such a unique recipe.

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Egypt is on my long list of places I would love to see. Well, dreaming never hurt anyone.:)

A drink from hibiscus flowers? Sounds exotic! Would you know if these are the same variety as the ones we see in Kerala? Btw, happy to know you belong to Ernakulam.

Srivalli said...

that drink looks great...fun to read your meme..i still would want to know your fav smell...heheheh...

Rachel said...

Egypt is one place that I defintely want to see....love the colour of that drink..

interesting meme..and yes I would also want to know what your fav smell is?????????

ST said...

Wow gr8 entry, drink looks awesome and lovely. Love the beautiful color. Love reading ur meme :)))

Chibog in Chief said...

this is so beautiful!! i love the deep red color!! so bad to here hubby was in bed..dont worry even if you miss father's day celebration with all the yummy food your cooking its like father day's celebration everyday!!

btw, do you have an email i'd like to send you an email.;have a great day...is it sunny in belgium? in here it is sooooooooo cloudy :-(

ranji said...

lovely cooling drink HC...nice color too..enjoyed reading ur meme..u from ernakulam???wow!!i am from thr too:)..whr did u stay thr?

Sia said...

wow HC, this is something i never heard of. i wonder from where i can get hold of dried hibiscus calyces.

kamala said...

What a beautiful color...this is new to me with hibiscus flower..Great meme to read

Finla said...

Laavanya thankyou

Madhavi thnankyou

Peter M it this is really a very refreshing drnink and they do say hibiscus is really healthy

Jeena thankyou when we were there we loved it, actually i would also love to go back again

Mrs ergul thankyou

Sume Rajesh yeah i know here we all love the colour

Nags hi hi come here more often you will learn more new things, just kidding

Seena do send the recipe i am now curious about it

Swati Egypt was indeed beautiful

Maya thankyou

Maheswari hi hi if you tell me yours i will tell mine :-)))

Shankari thankyou

Aparna no harm in dreaming, you should hear my list it goes on and on. I think it is a kind of like in keraka, i am not sure

Srivalli thankyou; i am not saying you will get faint :-)

Rachel you ladies indeed are very curious arent you

Sireesha thankyou

Dhanggit thankyou well my mail is mykitchen_treasures@yahoo.com

Ranji thankyou you too from EKM, i m from near to thripunithura

Sia I have seen in tea bad forms here in supermarket.

Finla said...

Kamala thankyou

Unknown said...

Thats a very dashing looking drink, mmm cant wait to try it:)

chriesi said...

Oh that is fabulous! I hope to find some hibiscus here somewhere and try this.

Anonymous said...

this drink is new to me; but sounds refreshingly cool.
Nice Meme :) Good to know more about u ...

@the_whisk_affair said...

great entry, it looks sooo inviting. the color is just awesome!! :-) enjoyed reading ur meme. curious as to y u didnt tag anyone!?

there's something for u on my blog, pls come by to claim it ;-)

Uma said...

wow, so colorful drink. congrats on the award. nice meme.

bee said...

looks so delicious. now tell me what's your fav smell?

Finla said...

Roopa thankyou

Cheriesi if yo make them you will love it, it is so refreshing.

Skribles thankyou

Jz thankyou. Well most of them have done the meme so i thought i will leave it like that

Uma thankyou

Bee, hi hi you know it is a bit embarissing to say

Vaishali said...

A creative and lovely recipe as always, Happy. I had no idea hibiscus flowers are edible.

Sagari said...

nice meme happycook

Cham said...

Beautiful color and looks like rose syrup :) wondering the aroma it should give :) Love to read ur Meme so what weird smell u like ?

Kalai said...

The color of that drink is just amazing, HC!! Nice to learn more abt you in your meme. Congrats on the award! :)

test it comm said...

What an amazing colour! It sounds really interesting.

TBC said...

Hey Happy,
My parents live in EKM now.:D

That is a unique drink. The 2 layers make the drink look very pretty.:D

Sujatha said...

looks so yummy! Perfect for a summer evening..

I have something waiting for you in my blog.. Please do checkout.

Swati Raman Garg said...

wowy dried hibiscus petals haan... cool ... and u wud have had a great time in egypt haan wish i can visit someay...

SMN said...

hey that uks nice and this is new to me.. nice entry for the event. loved reading MEME. nice to know more about u.

J said...

I only recently made this karkady drink, till then I've been using karkady in my mehendi and it never occured it was edible!!:)

Bombay-Bruxelles said...

Nice unusual drink!

Has your daughter finished exams?

Bombay-Bruxelles said...

Nice drink! Unusual and pretty!

Has your daughter finished exams?

Latha Narasimhan said...

Just like how we prepare gulkand with rose petals! Hibiscus flower is has medicinal value and id very good for all uterus related problems! Nice meme! :))

Finla said...

Vaishali and Sagari thankyou

Cham you are curious aren't you. It doesn't have any aroma like rose petals.

Kalai and kevin thankyou

TBC are they setteled there

Sujatha thankyou and sure will check your place

Swati raman thankyou. It is indeed cool

SMN thankyou

Jyothsna I knew about this drink as my hubby useed to talk about it from is earlier trip to egypt, but then when i was htere i fell in love with it. Adding it in Mehendi that is a new thigs for me :-)

Bombau Brussels. Her exams started yesterday she will have it till next week.

Latha narashiman, they also say it is good for your bloodd pressure

Jaya M said...

Happy,
it looks so refreshing ,Hibiscus or Gurhal in hindi , and Joba phool in Bengali has many medicinal value also.I guess this drink is a welcome change for summers.
Wow ! You all went to Egypt for holidays ,thats so cool.
Hope Hans feeling better ..
Hugs and smiles
jaya

Thistlemoon said...

That sounds like an amazing drink! Such a fabulous color too! Wow!

I liked your meme - it was cute!

Meera said...

Just simply loved that drink. Totally new to me. I loved the picture and your steps too. Excellent!!

Had fun reading the MeMe too!!:-)

A.G said...

tnx for visit my blog

the herb look like dried rose.. like the color... hmm remind me rose syrup :)

Shubha Ravikoti said...

Nice recipe.. and good info...the colour is awesome.... yum yummm it is so unique and nice..:)
Loved u Meme...:D nice to know more about u..:)

Anonymous said...

I have never tried this before.Very unique drink indeed.

Raaga said...

I have never heard of this drink and you drank it everyday :-( it looks so pretty :-)

Andhra Flavors said...

Unique and pretty looking drink. Nice to know more about you.

Finla said...

Jaya thankyou for the info about the flower yeah and Hans is good now.

Jenndz thankyou, hi hi cute huh

Meera thankyou i had fun writting it too

Ayin it was a pleasure to visit your place

Shubha thankyou

ROma it is a really refreshing drink, if u ever get the chance try them

Raaga yeah it was so hot there , that when we had this drunk it was heaven :-)

Andhra flavours thankyou

Prajusha said...

Nice Meme...love the beautiful color

Lore said...

I only used to drink hibiscus in a tea, never as a syrup. It looks great Happy!
My favourite place to relax is also at home :)

Unknown said...

Happy thanks for sharing such cool drink.I love to make it.

Richa said...

hi HC, how hv u been?
this drink is just amazing, looks so beautiful, just looking at it makes me feel so refreshed :) gotta' look for it, hv seen the hibs tea, but gotta' look for the dried ones. thanks for this beautiful rcp.

Purnima said...

HC, tks for sharing this, I bought a pack of Karkady leaves on impulse! Used to boil few petals for green tea..like the camomile flowers r used. Now so glad to see this use from link provided by Meera! (In teen age, in one of the beauty recipes, making a paste of fresh petals of hisbiscus n applying on hair was one of the stunts I did for shiny-smooth hair..now i haahaaa on it!:D)Tks for sharing..bookmarked!--though 1 yr late! :D

Finla said...

Purnima hi hi i know we also uesd to do that for hai andalso polish our chool black shoe too with the flouwer.
Try the recip you will love it in the summer days.

amna said...

very interesting! will surely try :)